Health and Safety While Travelling in Iceland
August 4, 2020
At Iceland Encounter, guest health and safety is our highest priority. In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have updated our health and safety protocols.
- Social distancing and enhanced sanitation will be practiced on all trips.
- Hand sanitizer will be provided and made readily available in vehicles and elsewhere.
- Face coverings will be provided as needed, although we highly encourage guests to bring their own.
- We request that all travellers self-monitor daily for any COVID-19 related symptoms.
- Travellers who are feeling unwell and exhibiting symptoms must advise their guide, who will undertake required safety protocols, which include supporting guests by seeking medical care.
Iceland’s health system is one of the most advanced in the world and was never overwhelmed during the pandemic.
Our guides have received updated training that outlines advanced health and safety protocols for hygiene and sanitation. While the wearing of masks is not mandatory in Iceland, our driver-guides will gladly wear masks during the tour, if requested by guests. When assisting with luggage, our guides will use sterile gloves. Our guides will be tested for COVID-19 within 3 days of your arrival to ensure they do not carry the virus.
Hotels and Restaurants
All hotels and restaurants in Iceland currently follow updated government guidelines regarding social distancing, hygiene and sanitation. As an alternative to hotels, you can of course request accommodation that will host only your group such as a villa or boutique lodge. We would be glad for forward our recommendations.
Vehicles are cleaned daily with anti-viral products. Hand sanitizer, face coverings, and cleaning products will be provided in all of our vehicles. Drivers will ensure good ventilation and air-conditioning. When assisting with luggage, drivers will use sterile gloves.
Activities and Equipment
The Icelandic government has publicised updated requirements regarding the regular and frequent sanitization of all equipment used by activity suppliers. New requirements for social distancing are being enforced. Group sizes have been reduced.
As a certified member of VAKINN - the official quality and environmental system for Icelandic tourism – Iceland Encounter is in regular communication with all of our suppliers regarding their safety protocols. We can of course also book private tours and experiences for your group, if requested.